Saturday, April 10, 2010

Corners of Our Home

As a little kid I remember being mesmerized by little things in the trailer where we grew up. Like the hip 70's fruit wallpaper in the kitchen, the fruit containers that matched the wallpaper, the faux marble wall in the main bathroom, the little wall hangings and clock in our kitchen by the dining table. (Maybe it was a indicator that I would be slightly obsessed with decorating as an adult.) In any case, I was inspired by my sister to take some pictures of my home now. Hubby has Annabelle out on a Home Depot adventure while the littles rest and Mommy got bored so what else would I do with my time but take random pictures of our house??? First, the curtains. The fabric for the panels were purchased at a steep discount and are probably my favorite thing in our house. Yes, they're just a little gaudy, but I am a southern girl you know. We like things like bold florals paired with plaid and some over-priced fringe. As a reformed scrapbooker I still have a love affair with words so when I saw this at Big Lots for $3 I had to splurge. Yes, $3 for a cheap skate like me is a splurge!! On a separate trip to BL I found a set of wall shelves and a nice mirror. I paid $25 for all the black decor items here and the chocolate color decor items that I am pretending are black. There are a set of 4x6 frames as well but I opted to leave them out. The wreath was a 30 cent thrift store find and I bought a 50 cent book about Jesus and ripped it up and Mod Podged it to the wreath. I skimmed it before I ripped it all to heck. It was a good book. The girls were very distraught over the sin Mommy had just committed by ripping up a book. Our kitchen table got a little something from the Goodwill, which Annabelle thinks is actually our friend, Will, from church. When we say we are taking things to Goodwill or bought things from Goodwill she thinks we mean him. This little basket was acceptably cheap, but not as cheap as I would have liked. I think this whole arrangement set me back about $9 but the fact that I have some place to put the random sticks and stones the kids collect is worth it. Our winter wreath, which stays up for all four seasons, got a face lift with some junk I had laying around the house. I think it looks rather purdy. And lastly, our poor front porch was in need of some love. When we moved here there was a normal run of the mill welcome mat and it had become, well, un-welcoming. So we purchased a new rubber welcome mat that will hopefully hold up to the kids, and we also found two planters to sit on either side of the door. The planters are empty. I am still holding out for some really cheap flowers to magically plant their sweet selves in the planters while I am peacefully sleeping. Yes, I live in a dream world where things like that magically happen all the time. Don't you?? Well, my loves are back from the store with their loot and building a new square foot garden thingie so I guess I should maybe make myself useful and at least get the laundry folded or somethin. Have a fabulous Saturday!

No comments: