It is a painful condition in which the epithelial lining of the bladder forms lesions, pin point ulcers, and overall irritation and sends pain signals and false signals of fullness even though the bladder is not full. The lesions can result in diminished capacity meaning that the bladder cannot hold as much as it should. For example, a normal bladder holds 800cc's before feeling full, mine holds 250cc's. The symptoms of IC are fullness even after using the restroom, frequency, pain, lower back pain, hip and leg pain, pain with intimacy. It is characterized by flares and spontaneous remissions that can last from one month to several. Most women will flare at least once a month because of hormone changes with the monthly cycle. Stress and certain foods can also make symptoms worse. For more information check out http://www.ic-network.com/whatisinterstitialcystitis/ If you know someone who seems to have constant UTI's please have them discuss the possibility of IC with their doctor. It is important to get on the IC diet and start taking medicine to get symptoms under control. I may, at some point, share my IC story. If I get up the courage to do so. If you have questions or these symptoms seem familiar then email me and I will help you figure out what to do next.
Saturday, October 30, 2010
One Day Left
One day left of IC (Interstitial Cystitis) awareness month and I have yet to blog about it. Maybe it's because I really don't want to but I am convicted by the statistic that up to 12% of women have this and do not know it. So, I have to post. Even though I really don't want to. Did I mention I don't want to? Anyway...here is the lowdown on IC:
It is a painful condition in which the epithelial lining of the bladder forms lesions, pin point ulcers, and overall irritation and sends pain signals and false signals of fullness even though the bladder is not full. The lesions can result in diminished capacity meaning that the bladder cannot hold as much as it should. For example, a normal bladder holds 800cc's before feeling full, mine holds 250cc's. The symptoms of IC are fullness even after using the restroom, frequency, pain, lower back pain, hip and leg pain, pain with intimacy. It is characterized by flares and spontaneous remissions that can last from one month to several. Most women will flare at least once a month because of hormone changes with the monthly cycle. Stress and certain foods can also make symptoms worse. For more information check out http://www.ic-network.com/whatisinterstitialcystitis/ If you know someone who seems to have constant UTI's please have them discuss the possibility of IC with their doctor. It is important to get on the IC diet and start taking medicine to get symptoms under control. I may, at some point, share my IC story. If I get up the courage to do so. If you have questions or these symptoms seem familiar then email me and I will help you figure out what to do next.
It is a painful condition in which the epithelial lining of the bladder forms lesions, pin point ulcers, and overall irritation and sends pain signals and false signals of fullness even though the bladder is not full. The lesions can result in diminished capacity meaning that the bladder cannot hold as much as it should. For example, a normal bladder holds 800cc's before feeling full, mine holds 250cc's. The symptoms of IC are fullness even after using the restroom, frequency, pain, lower back pain, hip and leg pain, pain with intimacy. It is characterized by flares and spontaneous remissions that can last from one month to several. Most women will flare at least once a month because of hormone changes with the monthly cycle. Stress and certain foods can also make symptoms worse. For more information check out http://www.ic-network.com/whatisinterstitialcystitis/ If you know someone who seems to have constant UTI's please have them discuss the possibility of IC with their doctor. It is important to get on the IC diet and start taking medicine to get symptoms under control. I may, at some point, share my IC story. If I get up the courage to do so. If you have questions or these symptoms seem familiar then email me and I will help you figure out what to do next.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment