
As we go about regular life I try to savor the things the kids are doing right now. Nathan is talking a lot and likes to repeat things. He said "I love you" back to me tonight! He is so sweet. He likes to give me and his sisters hugs. He also likes to yell and hit but we are working on that! Kate likes to give slobbery kisses. Right when you go to kiss her she will stick her big, wet tongue out which is always dripping with spit. Ugh. Only a Mom would like that kiss! She has puckered up her poochie lips a couple times and given me a sweet non-slobbery kiss. She can dress herself. Granted her clothes are inside out and kinda crooked but I am proud of her for trying to learn early how to dress herself. I have a feeling she will care about clothes as much as Eleanor does.

This sweet little girl is much smarter than she lets on. We have been learning about money this week and I was asking the girls what each coin was worth. I asked Annabelle how much two dimes would be worth and she paused to think. Eleanor jumped right in and said "20 CENTS!!!!" She is three!!! She shouldn't know how to do double digit addition at 3!!! She is one of those kids who does not show off how much she knows (unlike her sister) but instead gives little infrequent glimpses at how smart she really is.

My sweet little Annabelle. She is so excited about homeschooling. A complete change from a few months ago when all she could talk about was going to kindergarten. I have ordered some of her curriculum and started to prepare our sunroom for schooling next year complete with her own
workboxes and a time card that she uses to check in and out of homeschool. I am taking a completely different approach than I had anticipated. I did not want a school room, nor did I want curriculum aside from a phonics program and math. I wanted them to be free to do and learn as they please until they are in first grade. But I am finding that they crave structure. We are using workboxes to build structure into our day. I am hoping it will also help us to keep the twins occupied while I am working one on one with the older girls. That is one of the hardest things right now. Right when I want to read to the girls the twins decide to start yelling at each other or fighting. With the workboxes even the twins will have boxes of their own and be able to cycle through different toys each day. I also plan to work into the girls schedule to teach the twins for 15 minutes each day. I think it will help them to grow in independence as they take ownership in a small part of our homeschool life. Though we are doing a more formal, structured approach to homeschooling this coming year, I will also allow them to choose a unit study every couple weeks that interests them. They should be finished with school by lunchtime and will have playtime for the rest of the day, aside from an hour of quiet time in the afternoon to rest. I am hoping Eleanor will not need a nap by next school year so she will have more time to play.
The kids are outside helping Daddy mow the grass. I have about 6 loads of laundry to fold so I better get to it or I will be up much later than I would like!! We were all up very early (4:45) because Eleanor has a UTI and woke up with an upset tummy. She is feeling better now and is on some antibiotics. Poor thing, she just got off medicine for an ear infection and now has to go right back on. Happy Wednesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment